Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Carter James Casqueiro

I'm interrupting my slow-going catch up for an update...our family grew this weekend! Carter James Casqueiro was born on August 11 at 12:11 AM. I'm not going to go into a lot, I'm just posting a huge load of pictures for those of you who are interested...

We went to the hospital at 7:30 in the morning (August 10th), but were turned away because there were too many babies being born. We were a scheduled induction, so they promised to call when they could get us in. That afternoon, around 3, we actually ended up admitted, and were very happy to know we were going to the hospital and coming home with baby in tow.

Carter's labor was very easy, the toughest part was finding a vein to put in the IV and getting the epidural. 7 pokes later, we were all hooked up to Pitosin and the epidural, and were ready to go. Carter on the other hand, was holding out for August 11. I'm not going into any of the gross details, suffice it to say that the delivery was much easier than Olivia's, and we were very glad to see him out, "happy" and healthy. I say happy because you can see from the first few pictures that Carter was less than happy with all the bright lights and funny things going on.




I love this profile. The matting doesn't do his hair justice; it is quite dark and pretty thick for baby hair.



Grandma Terece and Grandpa Gary were waiting in the waiting room, so they were our first visitors. By this time Carter was warm and much calmer.



And then we weighed him...much less warm and much louder on his part :). He was 7 pounds, 11 ounces, and 19.75 inches long.


After he got measured, the nurse stuck him in the warmer for a bit to give him eye drops and a few other things. From my bed, all I could see was his little foot propped on the edge of the warmer, just hanging out. It may be a mother's perspective, but I thought it was adorable :)


After about 2 hours we were able to make the transition to the Mother/Baby floor, and get settled into our permanent room. Carter got his first bath, I got my first food (in what seemed like days), and we settled in for our first night together. I say night, but it was about 4 before were were able to get any rest...a busy day.



Here he is the next morning...a little furrowed brow but sleeping peacefully.


Olivia meeting Carter...she was very interested in his hair and feet, giving lots of hugs and kisses. She did have a little jealousy with whoever was holding him, but did amazing for her first time meeting him. She seemed to totally understand that the 'bebe' who was in mom's tummy was now out and she could hold him.



Grandma Mary getting her turn...as you can see Olivia is trying to push him off her lap. Luckily that didn't last long :)


Olivia: "no, no, no, no, no" as Grandpa gets to hold him...


She settles for Grandma, but immediately wants a turn holding the baby.



And the 'first cousin to hold him' award goes to..... Niki! She ignored the posted visiting hours and burst through the doors, pushing her way past nurses and laboring mothers alike, just so she alone could hold the title of First Cousin. I'm afraid Max didn't have a chance with this one :)



 Dad zonked out between visitors...









Sunday morning the family came again to visit and see the baby. My favorite moment from that morning was Olivia reading 'Pat the Zoo' to Carter, and pointing out all the animals. Her Grandmas were both there to help...I just loved it



Most of the visitors had already come, so we spent the afternoon relaxing and just enjoying this new little addition to our family.




I love this good looking man :) Posing for the camera as usual, but he is an amazing husband and dad, and I don't know what I would do without him.



Monday morning we packed up and went home! Carter looks tiny in his car seat, but was totally content the entire ride home.


I could go on for pages, but I'm just amazed that I have been blessed with such a wonderful family, and can't wait to see how Carter's little personality fits completes our family.

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of Carter's little foot sticking over the edge. I'm so glad you captured that :). I also think you have a fabulous husband and I love your little family. Thanks for all the pictures - I just ate it up :).

    ReplyDelete