Sunday, January 29, 2012

Christmas: Part 1

Our Christmas started a little early this year (the 18th actually) because Alex's family decided to drive down for a few days to help us with the drive back up (YAY and THANK YOU :) ). I'd say they are a little crazy for volunteering to drive 26 hours in 3 days, but I'm so grateful, and it really did make our drive SO much easier. We were doubly excited for them to come down early because we were trying to figure out an opportunity to tell them our exciting news: our little family is growing next year!

After driving the entire day on Sunday (the 18th) they came over for a pizza dinner and to hang out a bit before heading to the hotel. I had wrapped a pair of boy booties, a pair of girl booties, and a book entitled "I'm a big sister" to give them as an early Christmas present. After the initial shock - Mary won't be pleased but her initial remark was 'Are you SERIOUS?' - everyone was very excited, and I was glad not to have to put on airs because I have been ten times more sick with this pregnancy than with Olivia.

Monday morning Olivia and I drove to the hotel to have breakfast together, then we played at the park a little bit before her morning nap. I just love these pictures (Thank you Ashley) of Olivia playing with Auntie Ashley and Grandpa Gary. She was thrilled to have people to show all the ins and outs of her favorite park to.


 That afternoon we headed out for lunch, to Deli Delicious (would totally recommend, but they might be a Fresno chain). Olivia has never been timid or anything, but it was funny to see her acting up to show off to our visitors...what a ham!



On Tuesday we had a more relaxed day, I actually did some last minute shopping while the Casqueiros watched Olivia at home, but in the evening we headed to the Fresno Zoo for zoolights. It was much more fun than our first experience with zoo lights (in the pouring down rain last year with a 2-month old at the Oregon Zoo), and even though it was super cold, Olivia had a blast, and was enthralled with all the blow up toys and lights. We had to pose by the Yo Gabba Gabba characters of course!


This zoo has a cool 'Sting Ray Bay' where you can go touch sting rays. There are a whole bunch in this shallow pool and they will swim right up to you.


This is my one and only group shot...great pose everyone :)


Goofy Andy and Ashley :)


I couldn't miss this picture, because Cindy Lou Who has a special place in my heart. Ever since I can remember, I have always been 'Lacey Lou Who' to my Grandma Bonnie, and I have no idea why or how it started, but it makes me smile every time. So here is Olivia Lou Who :)


Wednesday morning we got up, finished packing, and played for a while, all while waiting for 10:00 to roll around so Olivia would be ready for her morning nap and we could get on the road. I don't know why I still plan trips around her nap, because she's a horrible car sleeper, but  that was the plan so we stuck to it. I actually drove up with Mary, Gary, Ashley, and Olivia, and we left Alex and Andy to leave the next day (Alex had to work). This worked out great, because it gave us less stress to get there in a hurry, and gave Olivia and I one more day with family.

A couple hours into the drive we started our magical quiet baby trick, the car DVD players. They worked like a charm. Honestly we didn't need them on the way up, Olivia was well entertained by everyone in the car, but they were a huge blessing on the way home.


I don't think Olivia has ever watched more than like 30 minutes of a movie before, just because we rarely have the TV on and she doesn't have a long attention span, but she got very into Fantasia 2000, and at one point was apparently worried enough to clasp her hands so tightly her fingers were turning white :). A good mom might have had reassuring words or fast-forwarded, but I made sure to take a picture first.



We originally planned to drive to Ashland or so and get a hotel room for the night, but we made awesome time and didn't have to stop very many times so we decided to go all the way, and I got home around 11:30. Bless Gary, who drove the entire way! They dropped Olivia and I off at an abandoned gas station, where my mom picked us up so we could spend a day with my family before heading up to Keizer on the 23rd. A super fun start to a great holiday trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment