Thursday, October 11, 2012

Blast to the Recent - Carter 2 month

Yes I know 'Blasts from the Past' are usually more fun, but someone in our family celebrated a *not-so* important birthday this month, so I need to check in about reality.

On August 11th, Carter turned 1/6. This time has been really special for our family, as we all (even Olivia) do whatever it takes to elicit a smile. When Carter is in a good mood they are easy to get, especially for his big sister. His arms go a mile a minute and he smiles so big, with his entire face. I love when his smile just holds, and you just know he's trying to laugh. I can't wait until we get more than the raspy breath that usually accompanies his smile right now.

Carter is quite a bit louder than Olivia was as a baby; Alex and I have decided that he already has made more noise than she did in her entire first year. A lot of that noise is sad, he has some tummy issues that we are trying to work out. We have recently (as of the last few days) been able to really recognize a tired cry from a hungry cry, and are trying to help him be a happier baby.

His official measurements are:
Height: 23.5" (63%)    Weight: 11 lb 8 oz (37%)    Head Circumference: 40.5 cm (55%)

His 2 month birthday was spent on our trip to Idaho and Utah (at this point we were in Utah) meeting all his cousins. Here are a few pictures from that day, and one early but adorable one.

The first is from our time in Idaho. Teagen and Carter have a special bond. Mostly Teag just loves babies, but I think he has some special feelings for his next youngest cousin. I took this picture from the stairs, about eight feet away from the two of them. I came downstairs just to catch Teag sitting in front of Carter's bouncer, just staring and babbling at him. Carter was grinning back...such a special moment! Apparently (I missed it, but Amber saw) just a few minutes later Teag wanted to sit next to Carter, so he stood up, turned around, and slowly backed up to the bouncer, looking to be very careful where he was going. He started to sit down on the edge of the seat right next to Carter, but apparently got a little worried and decided against it, because he turned around again and sat down in front instead of on the bouncer. They sat like this loving each other for a long time before they (mostly Teag) went on to a different activity. I can't wait to see the two of them become friends as they grow up.


I'll admit to being a busy mom of two under two because my birthday picture taking is extremely lacking with Carter. I did manage to take a few on his 2 month birthday, but they were when I decided to be mean and lay him in the grass to see what he would do. Definitely concerning, but he didn't scream, so the pictures turned out okay.



I love all the little perfect baby features here, and how you can see how soft he is.


And here is just a funny glimpse into post-partum hormones. This particular morning consisted of a photo shoot with all the grandkids (which turned out AWESOME thanks to my amazing sisters), and then each family took some pictures. Olivia was being a bit of a pill all morning - after an entire week of traveling, fun activities, and sleeping in the same room as Carter, Alex, and I, acting out is to be expected - so she wouldn't hold Carter at all for a picture. They were all dressed up cute, and everyone else got a great picture, so I really wanted one for us as well. I tried this ridiculous looking pose before I eventually gave up...with a few tears. Logically I knew that the pose wasn't going to work, but my hormones needed something...so this is what they got :).

 
We are so blessed to have Carter in our lives, and are enjoying the little bits of his personality that are beginning to show as he grows stronger and more aware of us every day. I love the smiles that he saves for his mom, and love watching Olivia and Carter learn to tolerate each other and the love between them. I know that I'm extremely lucky to have two wonderful children, and try to cherish each day that I have with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment